Thursday, January 20, 2011

Portugal


Me in London at Big Ben - TIRED


Blog entry number 2 from here in Europe – Things in Portugal are great. Warm and sunny, but with a cool wind from the ocean.  We’ve been roaming the new town and old town daily; been getting a lot of fresh air and walking each day.
I’ve posted some photos from my 4 days here so far ! The produce and beans are from the gipsy market we went to the other day. The old women and men who were selling them are so aged looking and beautiful. The most sort of “Portugese” looking older people have this dark caramel skin wrinkled all over and a very content and wise look in their eyes. These were the people sitting behind the produce stands at the market.
Along with these enchanting locals, there were a couple crazy, aggressive, big Portugese women who almost physically forced me into buying things – now I’m careful not to touch much or ask about prices because doing that is basically like walking into the wolve’s den, except it’s a scary gipsy lady’s den. Haha. Needless to say there are some high strung ladies trying to sell goods at the market.


By 11 oclock , after some walking, we usually have ‘the first of the day’, which is usually an ICE COLD beer in a small glass. The beer here is theeee coldest I’ve ever had, and the small glasses helps maintain it. Very good.

These beach pictures are from just yesterday. The 3 of us got up nice and early, 6:40, and made it to the beach for low tide. The sound of the waves is so relaxing and the breeze is great. Although I have to frequently shake my Birkenstocks out, I insist on wearing them because I know that for the rest of my trip I’ll have to wear my waterproof hikers. Eeeee.



In my next set of pictures I’ll be sure to  show you all the beautiful ‘ pasta danata’ – the custard filled tarts that Grampa and Jann so love. Each day we basically start with a white coffee (Coffee with milk) and pasta danata. Then grampa has 1 or 2 more throughout the day, as we are trying to find which café makes the best one.

Time to get going. Happy hour starts asap. We bought our jeep safari tickets today so in the next entry I’ll also try to post pictures of that. Farms and back country.

XO Love Leah-Rose

Ps, Mom – you are no longer allowed to make fun of me for my ridiculous sweet tooth. I come by it soooo honestly. I discretely snack on kit kats here, and these orange chocolate cookies, only to look over and see grampa enjoying them as well. Only a few hours later the same thing happens again. HAHAH.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved and happy. It sounds like you are having a wonderful wonderful time!!! I didn't even know you had updated your blog until this morning haha. I'm so bad with this darn computer stuff. I love your pictures and your words, but they just make me crave more from you :). I wish I was over there with you; maybe if I'm lucky I'll run into some money and time and get to meet your for a bit.
    love you so much best friend,
    Ali
    (ps, it wont let me comment without a google account so I'm going to use my moms)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha beauty post! I think you just described Grandpa to a T! you sound like you are having an amazing time! I'm exited to hear about your jeep tour!
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowing again in the Elk Valley. So enjoy reading your blog. We can almost see those Portuguese gypsy women...the market sounds so wonderful.
    Enjoy the Jeep adventure and keep us posted. Dad says he feels the sand in your feet and the wind in your hair. Ok he is not as poetic as you but oh well.

    We love you.

    mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Leah, I love your blog, you are a natural. I had to read Liam your description of the aggressive Portuguese women, I can just see you.
    We had a really good laugh. Portugal looks like a very lovely place. The beach is beautiful. I also noticed you say BEER a lot, is that going to be a habit, hehe. You make them sound so enticing....I'll have to crack one every time I read your blog.
    love you
    this is carol looks like
    ali and I will be sharing my gmail.

    ReplyDelete